Silencer Laws
Moving with a Suppressor

Moving with a Suppressor

Moving with NFA Items

Life has a way of taking you both expected and unexpected directions. One of those directions might be moving to a new house after acquiring your favorite new toy. When you change locations, it means your silencer has changed location as well. Here’s what you do about that.

There are two moving scenarios. One is that you move after you’ve submitted your paperwork but before you’ve received your silencer. While your paperwork is at the ATF, it goes into a stack with other forms while it’s waiting. It’d be very difficult to fish it out of the stack, get it sent back to us as your dealer, updated by you the applicant, and sent back in. It would likely have to go to the back of the line if that were the chain of events. Therefore, you don’t need to do anything until after you’ve gotten your silencer. Then you can notify the ATF of your change of address. One important distinction to make is where you move to. If you are just moving within the state you purchased your silencer, then the aforementioned directions are fine. However, if you are moving out of state, be sure to contact us before you move. We’ll need to contact ATF NFA Branch to get everything in line with your change of state residency.

Forms to be Filled When Moving to a New State with a Suppressor

The second scenario is that you move after you’ve received your silencer. In that case, you’ll need to notify the ATF of your change of address as soon as you’re aware of the new address. The instructions for informing the ATF of your new address are listed on the back of your Form 4. Form 4 is the form you submitted in duplicate when you returned your paperwork which came back to you with the tax stamp and approved signature on it. They simply state that you need to inform the ATF, in writing, of your new address and send that information to NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 244 Needy Rd, Martinsburg, WV 25401.

You may very likely not receive any response from the ATF NFA Branch after informing them of your updated address. However, it is about guaranteed they received it, so work under that assumption. If you have any questions about your updated address, you can either contact Silencer Central or the NFA Branch directly.

Don’t let a potential move stop you from purchasing your suppressor. Are you ready to start the process today? Give us a call or shop our selection of silencers online!